Local Resources on Cybercrime
Please find a list of local websites publishing more specific to Cybercrime in South Africa. Please note that CX Consulting cannot
be held responsible for any information published on any of these websites. The page was made available coutesy
A list of local websites publishing information more specific to Cybercrime in South Africa
Authorities and Interest Groups
- South African National CSIRT
- DOC – Department of Communications – Child Online Protection Established as an international collaborative network for action to promote the online protection of children worldwide by providing guidance on safe online behaviour in conjunction with other UN agencies and partners.
- ECS-CSIRT – Electronic Communications Security – Computer Security Incident Response Team Handles computer security incidents and promote incident
prevention programs to strengthen defenses and help reduce the impact of future attacks against Government assets and critical infrastructure.
- FPB – Film and Publication Board – Pro Child A public service for reporting (anonymously), any child pornography or sexual abuse images discovered accidentally on the internet. This may also include child grooming activities hosted in chat rooms. FPB also disseminates news and safety tips.
- ISG Africa – Information Security Group of Africa – eCrime By establishing partnerships between the public and private sectors, the eCrime Portal will enable an incident management capability that ensures the rapid exchange of information between members.
- ISPA – Internet Service Providers’ Association – Code of Conduct The representative body for ISP’s that governs its members with a Code of Conduct. Provides information
on spam and scams, and a facility to ‘Lodge a Complaint’ against an ISPA member or ‘Request a Take-Down’ of infringing information.
- SABRIC – South African Banking Risk Information Centre – Safety Tips The representative body for the banking industry to combat organized crime. Provides information on
Phishing, Card skimming and ATM fraud, and Identity/Personal Information Theft.
- SARS – South African Revenue Service – Scams and Phishing Attacks Provides information on reporting suspicious or fraudulant activities and includes examples of the latest phishing/scam emails in which the SARS brand is being abused.
- Alert Africa A resource educating computer users on various forms of cyber threats
- BulkSMS – Parents Corner A guide to mobile technologies for perplexed parents
- Cellphone Safety A resource to help parents protect their children
- Crime Out Loud General tips including ATM safety and skimming scams
- Cyber Top Cops A resource to educate people about cyber threats
- Dr Khomotso Kganyago on Security Information security discussion (blog)
- Facebook – Family safety centre Information, tools and resources for family safety
- Google – Family Safety Centre Tips and advice for keeping your family safe online
- ISPA – icode A service by ISP’s to protect their customers from malware infections
- Kaspersky Lab – Computer Threats Information on threats from viruses to cybercrime
- MTN – Personal Safety A resource for emergency services and Parental Control
- Nedbank – Crime Awareness Counter Cybercrime Security Tips
- Nokia – Online Safety General online safety tips
- Obami – Let’s Stop Cyberbullying A resource for dealing with cyberbullying
- Panda Security – CyberSafety News blog on IT security and how to keep safe online
- Report A Crime Lists incidents of crime including Internet fraud, scams and hoaxes.
- SA Centre for Information Security Introduction to cyber crime, security threats and tips
- SA Cyber Security Academic Alliance Promoting National Cyber Security Awareness
- Scam Buster Lists current worldwide scams and scams specific to South Africa.
- Smsweb – e-Safety A resource for parents and teachers to protect children
- UNISA – Cyber Security Awareness Resource material for Awareness projects
- Vodacom – Peace of mind A resource for emergency services and Parental Control
- WebSafety Africa A resource for advice and tools focused solely on internet safety
- White Collar Crime Task Group Advice, details of “scams”, and successes of the SAPS.
- YOU – NetParent Information to protect children on the internet